NIU-NEHS William C. Johnson Scholarship
NEHS is working closely with Northern Illinois University (NIU) to provide opportunities for graduating NEHS student members to study at the university's DeKalb, IL, campus. The NIU-NEHS William C. Johnson Scholarship provides not only recognition but also financial support to NEHS student members demonstrating both outstanding academic achievement and active participation in NEHS chapter activities.
While applicants do not need to declare a major when applying for the scholarship, sustained and documented interest in English and related fields (literature, language, film, creative writing, and/or education) will strengthen applications.
Since its charter was granted in 1895, Northern Illinois University has become a world-class, research-focused public institution attracting students from across Illinois, the country, and the world. It offers over 100 different undergraduate programs, across six different colleges. Each program empowers students, through educational excellence and experiential learning, to share their skills, research, and artistry with their communities. Both in-state and out-of-state tuition at NIU are calculated at the same rate.
The scholarship is $1,000.
- Applications can be made by a current or former (in the case of two-year college transfer students) NEHS student member of an NEHS active chapter.
- Applicants must have completed an admission application to NIU before beginning the scholarship application.
- Applications must be completed by January 31 for admission in the fall of the same year.
- All submissions must be made via the NIU My Scholarships platform.
- Applicants must complete demographic data questions prior to submitting their general scholarship application.
- The general scholarship application will require applicants to submit the following information:
- A personal statement (required) - this should detail the applicant interest in the study of English
- A brief statement regarding financial need (optional)
- List of activities/service/employment (optional) - this should include detailed reference to NEHS membership
- List of honors/awards (optional)
- Two yes/no questions (required)
- Applicants will then be directed to the Recommended Opportunities page on the My Scholarships platform. Applicants should search for The William C. Johnson Scholarship and continue the application process.
- All applications will be evaluated by the Northern Illinois University English faculty.
- Applications will be evaluated on the basis of 1) academic merit, 2) extracurricular activities and awards, and 3) quality of the personal statement.
- The scholarship will be given purely based on merit, not on the imperative that all funds should be spent annually.