NEHS offers one-year, non-renewing scholarships from a $75,000 fund to graduating NEHS seniors planning to study any subject at a two-year or four-year college/university anywhere in the world. All applicants for NEHS Scholarships are required to read the Common Reader and submit an original essay based on one of the prompts provided by the Advisory Council in November. Applicants will also have to complete two additional questions as part of their application.
NEHS also supports student members who demonstrate outstanding academic performance in English studies and who have been active participants in National English Honor Society, but who may need additional support due to financial or family circumstances.
Scholarship applicants who qualify for supplemental funding should submit additional documentation to the Advisory Council through the Award Spring platform. Supplementary funding is added to the amount awarded to successful awardees.
Awards are sent directly to the colleges/universities for deposit into winners’ financial accounts. Awards are issued in the late summer. NEHS will hold a scholarship payment for one year in the case that a student winner needs to defer their entry to college or university. Awardees unable to accept their scholarship within one year forfeit their awards.
- Applicants must be active members of an active NEHS chapter.
Applicants must be in their senior year and planning to study at a four-year university or two-year college.
Please consult the NEHS Scholarship guidelines for more information.
- All submissions must be made via the NEHS AwardSpring platform during the winter submission application period by uploading a PDF document, which responds to one of the essay prompts selected for this year’s scholarship competition.
- Submission deadline is Monday, January 8, 2024, 11:59 p.m. CST.
- Applicants will also have to respond to two supplementary questions (please see NEHS Scholarship guidelines).
- Applicants must complete demographic data questions prior to submitting their documentation.
- Applicants must include a brief biography and portrait photo.
- Applicants must agree they are willing to provide a written report and photos detailing the impact and value that NEHS will have on their future success. This will be used by NEHS to promote this and other competitions in future years.
- All submissions will be evaluated by at least three NEHS evaluators.
- All submissions will be evaluated against the following rubric.